Kopi Princess <data:blog.pageTitle/> - Adding a little caffeine to your life

When seats and chivalry collide.
Saturday, September 15, 2012 posted at 9/15/2012 08:05:00 AM ♥ 0 comments

I'm not talking about slaying a dragon to prove how courageous you are. Nowadays, there are no dragons or monsters to slay, so I think men can express their chivalry thru simple, little things. I was on my way home from work my friend. It was raining hard, and we wanted to go home immediately. We hop on the first bus that parked on the road. Unfortunately, there was no sit available. I think everybody wants to get home because of the torrential rains here in Manila (well, thanks to TS Karen).

Unfortunately, there was no sit available. I think everybody wants to get home because of the torrential rains here in Manila (well, thanks to TS Karen). Unfortunately, all seats were taken, so we have to stand in the middle of the aisle, holding our wet umbrellas and bags. Then we I was fumbling in my bag to get my fare, I noticed that 3 or 4 men yawn almost at the same time and bow their heads, avoiding eye-contact with us. It made me smile. Really. I gave my friend a knowing smile and told her that I will tell her everything once we get out of the busFortunately, we were able to get some seats when the bus conductor told us that there are still some available seats at the back. Moments later, some ladies hop on the bus. And like us, they were not able to sit. And no one. As in NO ONE, offered to let them a sit

When we got down to the bus, I told my friend that I saw some men who yawn and pretend to feel sleepy so they will not be obligated to offer their seat to women. She laughed and told me that she noticed it too. Not that I'm assuming, but this situation is familiar to me. On LRT/MRT rides, I see some men pretending to sleep to avoid offering their sit to women or the elderly. And when someone steps up to show some chivalry, offers his seat to a hapless lady, everybody will follow.

I think guys should learn from their predecessors, and know the meaning of the word "chivalry". Little things like opening a door, helping an elderly to cross the street, or offering a seat to a woman can do wonders.