Kopi Princess <data:blog.pageTitle/> - Adding a little caffeine to your life

Independence Day Date: History in a Building
Saturday, June 20, 2015 posted at 6/20/2015 03:24:00 PM ♥ 0 comments

I felt so ironic celebrating the Philippine Independence Day as I don't believe in the concept for some reasons:


  • After Emilio Aguinaldo's proclamation, the Americans conquered the Philippines which made his proclamation a moot effort
  • I don't believe in a man who sold our 7,107 island like his own real estate proper (in a stagerring $800,000) to the Spanish then cowardly fleeing to Hong Kong to escape the wrath of the Filipino people
  • And I certainly don't believe in a man who killed his fellowmen just to take hold of the Katipunan (See 10 Reasons Many Filipinos Do Not Like Emilio Aguinaldo )
For me, Aguinaldo is the embodiment of greed and corruption and he is definitely the role model of politicians today.

And watching Jorge Estregan's El Presidente made me hate Aguinaldo even more. This biased autobiography should not be shown to students who might believe this senseless drivel.

To fend of my patriotic hate and anguish, my kopi and I decided to visit National Museum. I remember as a child visit this place in one of my field trips, but that was a very long time ago. Also, I want to refresh my history lessons and see if I still got it. I'm a history buff and maybe visiting the place will bring back some of that enthusiasm.

Good thing National Museum, as a treat for the Filipino, opened their doors to the Filipinos. Until June 30, you can visit the museum for FREE! Yes, you heard it right. It is for free.

Unfortunately, we came a little too late (3pm, maybe) which is why were not able to fully explore the place. But I have a goal - I want to see the Spoliarium by Juan Luna, one of the most celebrated Filipino painter and a known Illustrado. Just a trivia, Spoliarium  is the painting that Luna submitted at Exposición Nacional de Bellas Artes in 1884 in Madrid, Spain and won the coveted gold medal (Yes, like the Olympics), and proved the world the indios from a lesser known country can beat the pointy-nose aristocrats. The great painter spent eight (8) months on painting his known masterpiece. 

I studied in Manila for almost four years, and yet, I was going round in circles not knowing where the museum is. Good thing my dearest roommate is more perceptive than me so he was the one who found the place. Yes, I married a man who is very good on reading maps.

As I said, we were able to explore some of the galleries in the museum but due to lack of time, we were in a hurry to see everything. One tip: plan your dates, especially when you are married. The museum closes at 5pm so we run as fast as we could to the other building to see the Spoliarium. And all that waiting and falling in line was all worth it - the painting was spectacular.It's beauty was not marred by people who are trying to get a shot of the painting. 

We spent a little time on Spoliarium and went on to explore some of the pieces on the galleries. I was definitely in awe with Fernando Amorsolo's collection that I wished I was living in his era so he can paint my portrait,

We tried as much see everything with limited time that we had. We immensely enjoyed it, and we are planning to go back when time permits. For those who want to relive their history lessons, feel free to visit National Museum and other museums as well.

For those who are interested, feel free to see the our photos



Labels: , ,