Kopi Princess <data:blog.pageTitle/> - Adding a little caffeine to your life

Debunking health myths.
Monday, April 15, 2013 posted at 4/15/2013 10:03:00 AM ♥ 0 comments

Yes, we are all about being healthy. We want to give the best treatment for our body and we subsist on different methods to have a healthy lifestyle. But sad to say, some of these methods are proven to be a bust. I came across an article from DivineCaroline.com about a few health myths that are now debunked.

1. The eight-glasses-a-day myth. It is not just about the eight glasses that we drink every day. We can get water from other sources - fruits, teas, and other beverages. While it wouldn't hurt to have liquid inside our body, but there is always an appropriate amount of water that our body can take.

2. Overstuffing/Starving. I really don't know about this myth, but apparently some people believe that overstuffing or starving yourself will ward off your illness. Eating appropriate amount of healthy food is still the best way to keep you away from sickness.

3. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Well, I think this one is hard to bust. But many doctors believe that eating apple is certainly good for your body as it helps fight cancer and heart diseases. Although there is no scientific evidence that eating apple each day can keep the doctor away, eating one can definitely beneficial for you.

4. Cracking knuckles and arthritis. Old members of the family also warn us about cracking our knuckles, or else we we will have arthritis. This is an old man's tale. A 1990s study in the Annals of Rheumatic Disease that there is no direct connection between cracking your ankles and arthritis.

5. Chocolate and acne. I remember in my teen years when I have to shy away from these sweet pleasures because I didn't want to have a breakout. It turns out, chocolates have nothing to do with our acne problems. It is more on our genes,  hormones, and skin type.

6. Chicken soup is for the soul and sickness. While I love the taste of a good chicken soup, it is good to know that there a little truth to it. Chicken soup keep us hydrated. And the veggies in this yummy treat will surely help to get you back in the health track.

7. Wet hair. I always love the cool feeling out going out while my hair is wet. It gives me the shower-fresh look. But it was believed that you will get cold when you go out with wet hair. Colds are caused by viruses and not the cold weather. So there is no harm done going out with your hair wet.

So I hope that I'm able to enlighten you. Keep safe and healthy!


Labels: